Live high, live mighty, live righteously, just taking it easy.
--Jason Mraz

Sunday, August 11, 2013

I did NOT make this

Beautiful!


Ian recently informed me that Stephen King has written a sequel to The Shining.  I admit, that book scared the daylights out of me.  We thought that we should probably re-read the book again before getting the sequel.

Well, there was no way I was going to pay full price for a thirty year old book.  So it was off to scour the second hand stores for one and two, to see what else they had in store.

I have a running list of things I am always looking for - wool, embroidery hoops, cashmere sweaters....

But not this.  Never this. 

I love quilts but I have a Mother in law who is an awesome quilter and I happen to have a key to her home;  I could get my hands on some lovely quilts whenever I want!  There are a number of lovely quilts on our beds hand made by Ian's mom.

I was looking through the bed sheets for unique sheets for any number of re-purpose plans I have rambling through my head when I spotted this unfinished quilt top. 

This quilt topper knocked me off my feet.  I love batik.  I scanned it and it was a complete quilt front. 

And it broke my heart. 

There I was in the second hand store, crying in the sheet aisle.  All I could think was this quilt front was lovingly made but not completed.  Why?  What happened to its maker?  I know sewers and we are obsessed.  I fear quilters are worse.  It seemed unlikely that a dedicated quilter would just give up and donate such a beautiful piece of work incomplete.

Like a lost puppy, this quilt cover was immediately mine.  No matter the cost.  What was the cost?  Oh my goodness, they were selling it for $2.99!!  If the obligation to adopt this cover and complete it was there, it was overwhelming now.  The fabric alone was worth more than that.  But I felt obliged to take this top and make it a complete quilt. 

The drive home, I carried this quilt top in my arms like a precious vase.  I also have no clue about quilting.  I am even allergic to straight lines....

We go grocery shopping every Sunday morning just the two of us.  I am going to ask Ian to take me to his parents so I can show his mom.  (And see if I can sell her on completing this project for me - I feel so strongly it needs to be done)

I will let you know how it turns out.

Live High,

Heather

I'm sharing here:
http://www.flamingotoes.com/
http://sewlicioushomedecor.com/saturday-show-licious-craft-showcase-44/

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a romantic! What is the saying.....'hopeless romantic'? Well, a person could be called worse. LOL ;)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I stopped by from the Sew Chatty's linky and follow you via G+. I hope you'll return the favour.
    See you Ally
    http://allyandwoozle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I haven't seen you don't have a G+ profile so I subscribed via email ;) lol

    ReplyDelete